Sunday, November 30, 2008

Novelty Design

In this class, we’ve explored many aspects of Industrial design: environmental, humanitarian, use of emerging new technologies, art and/vs. design, etc. And as this semester draws to an end, I have realized that I never got to explore a subject that I’ve been increasingly interested in: novelty design. Redesigning items that may already exist, but in such a unique, light-hearted and amusing way, that people can’t help but smile or laugh at. Items that bring some humour and child-like tendencies back into the blandness that has been plaguing the lives of too many. Items that you don’t really need, but NEED.

One of my favourite design companies that are consistently producing successful novelty designs is Fred & Friends. Most people will have heard of or seen many of Fred’s products, from the Pick Your Nose cups to the assortment of ice cube trays in the shape of dentures, shot glasses, dinosaur bones, or jewels, to the Foot in your Door doorstops. They use industrial design to introduce play and liveliness into the little things in life, wherever you may be: whether singing in the shower, blowing bubbles while doing the dishes, talking through a telephone receiver connected to your cell phone (the anti-Christ of the Bluetooth headsets), or listening to your music through giant ipod ear buds.

Novelty items allow people to be more individualistic, and to show and display their personality or interests with the things they own, or to just stand out from the crowd. Since the worthiness of a novelty item differs drastically to each individual, and is quite impossible to design for the general public. What Fred & Friends has so successfully done is to use clever and witty puns or other wordplays to appeal to a bigger audience, like the Ear Ring, Sign & Seal, or Packin’ Heat (OK, so maybe not that clever and witty, but still very amusing right?)

I believe that play is just as important, if not more, as work, and the world (or at least just public spaces) would be a better place if everyone just lightens up a bit, smile at others (or at least the quirky novelty things they might be carrying), even if they’re strangers. And I believe that designing novelty products has the potential to do just that.

“I think I know how you feel. Numb…from the avalanche of cutesy picture frames, the reek of bayberry, floormats in your choice of dog breed. I feel your interior ennui, but what’s more…I’ve done something about it. My crackerjack design team and I have traveled the four corners of the globe in search of truth, justice, and the ultimate in style. Stuff that works, puts a smile on your face, and doesn’t cost a fortune. I’m Fred. Why not let me into your home? I promise to help out around the house…

Love,

Fred”

No comments: